Today’s rainy weather made me crave soup. But I overheard Olivia’s preschool teacher say she was making shepherd’s pie for dinner and I immediately changed my dinner plans. I have never made shepherd’s pie. So I scoured the Internet for a vegetarian recipe and came across this one – Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie .
I made a few changes to the recipe mainly because I couldn’t find celery root and I felt like I needed to add some goat cheese. So if you want to make it exactly like mine, make the following changes:
1. Use veggie broth instead of mushroom broth (do they even sell mushroom broth in stores??)
2. Use the packet of dried wild mushrooms from Trader Joe’s instead of dried porcini mushrooms.
3. Use red potatoes (unpeeled) instead of russet potatoes.
4. Instead of butter I used Earth Balance vegan buttery spread.
5. Omit celery root (couldn’t find it.)
6. Omit milk. Use more veggie broth to thin out the mashed potatoes a bit.
7. Oh and add 5 oz of goat cheese and 1/4 cup chopped green onion to the mashed potatoes.
Yikes I guess I made a lot of changes. But I promise if you don’t mind a bit of chopping and love mushrooms you will not be disappointed with this dish.